Tuesday 4 March 2014

Peter Pinney Anthology Cover


Peter Pinney, The Road to Anywhere: the Writings of Peter Pinney. Selected by John Borthwick. UQP. 

This was the book via which I discovered Peter Pinney. Australian traveller, vagabond, adventurer, and writer of his extraordinarily true travel stories during the very different world of the 1950s. 

This anthology, like many of my other books, I picked-up-put-down-&-picked-up-again then I bought it. From the fabulous second-hand upstairs section of Berkelouws Books in Leichhardt, if I remember correctly. 

It includes amazing adventures from Pinney's different books that you could use in a TV show that you would dismiss as beinfar- fetched. He is a product of his time of course. But there are some great descriptions of people and places too. 

Off the top of my head, Pinney caustically describes his encounter with a chap who travels in order to boast about where he's been. "His suitcase, if he had one, would be swarming with a bright salad of labels."  

More in the next post. 

No comments:

Post a Comment